About Antenatal Social Work Services
Our ASW can provide you or someone you know with the support and information needed to stay healthy and well during the pregnancy, so the baby has the best possible start in life.
Antenatal Social Workers support you in the following ways:
- Organise or accompany you to maternity hospitals, such as the Royal Women’s Hospital, to book in for your baby’s birth and receive necessary tests, such as blood tests, ultrasounds, and any other tests you may need
- Assist you in your role as a parent by providing information about looking after you and your baby during pregnancy
- Financial or housing assistance
- Special support if you are experiencing alcohol or drug problems
- Find information about quitting smoking, dental care and more
- Introduce you to the maternal and child health nurse who will assist you after the birth of your child
- Providing support and adice to you and the babies other parent when relevant
Accessing Antenatal Social Work Services
Pregnant women who are isolated and in need of some extra support, and who are living in or connected to Port Phillip, can access this service by contacting BHN (see contact details below).
Various community locations offer the service, including:
- Port Melbourne
- South Melbourne
- St Kilda
- City of Stonnington
The BHN Antenatal Social Worker is available Mondays, Tuesdays and Wednesdays.
There is no charge for this service.