As well as working closely with community Elders regarding their specific health needs, this position is also responsible for networking and referrals.
Service for Indigenous Elders
As well as working closely with community Elders regarding their specific health needs, this position is also responsible for networking and referrals, including:
- Transfer of cultural knowledge
- Interaction between Elders and non-Indigenous workers
- Reducing isolation through social connections
- Retreat/respite for carers
- Age-appropriate support e.g. wills, funerals
- Support for chronic diseases
- Packages and plans for care
- Assist with Gateway to services
What to expect
- Services that are culturally sensitive to the Aboriginal community
- Access to BHN’s wide range of health services that are most suited to your needs
Why choose BHN?
- A dedicated Indigenous Access team
- A coordinated and multidisciplinary approach to best meet your needs through BHN’s full range of health and wellbeing services
- Highly experienced and qualified professionals
Accessing Indigenous Elder Services
People who are Aboriginal and/or Torres Strait Islander and aged 50 years and over can access these services. They are available Monday through Friday, 9am – 5pm, and delivered at the BHN site in St Kilda and throughout the community.
There is no charge for these services.
The Indigenous Access Coordinator can be reached at 132 246 (132 BHN).